To aid the novice, the progression of learning is as follows:
2. Balance - control of position.
3. Co-ordination - control of balance and position in technique.
4. Form - performing the above correctly.
5. Speed - increase the rate of performance without loss of form.
6. Power - strengthening the technique.
7. Reflex - the technique becomes a natural movement.
It is essential that the progression is not rushed, but developed at each stage. Karate can be very exciting and beneficial. The discipline is also very hard.